Study USA HealthCare

Plan Detail

Plan Administrator: USI Affinity Travel Insurance Services | AM Best Rating: A+ "Superior" | Underwriter: Lloyd's of London


Do I need study abroad insurance?

If you are a student or scholar planning on traveling to pursue your education outside your home country, health insurance is a necessity. Most student visas and learning institutions require visiting foreign students be covered by a comprehensive health insurance policy. You may also find that the coverage from your home country will not follow you while you are studying abroad.

Why Choose Study USA-HealthCare?
Travel Insurance Services takes the guesswork out of insurance for individuals in study abroad programs with Study USA-HealthCare, a plan designed specifically to meet the needs of international students and scholars. Study USA-HealthCare is the program that travels with you and meets or exceeds U.S. government student visa requirements. Whether you are looking for individual coverage or coverage for your entire family, Study USA-HealthCare has all the features you need. The plan includes coverage for medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, terrorism coverage, accidental death & dismemberment, and repatriation of remains.
Study USA-HealthCare is available to:
  • Full-time Students at a college or university (excluding online colleges and universities), or those who will be a Full-time Student at a college or university within 31 days, or
  • Full-time Scholars affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week.
  • Must be residing outside his or her Home Country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities; and
  • Must not have obtained residency status in the Host Country.

The Full-time Student/Scholar status requirement is waived for Participants within the US holding a valid F-1 visa.

Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1, J-1, or other category visas.


Study USA-HealthCare is available to dependents if:

  • They are the Participant’s legally married spouse, or they are the Participant’s unmarried child under age 19 years and chiefly dependent on the Participant for support and maintenance
  • Dependents must accompany the Participant abroad on a similar visa or passport while the Participant engages in international educational activities
  • Dependents must be temporarily located outside the Participant’s Home Country
  • Dependents must not have obtained residency status in the Host Country.

Incidental Home Country Coverage

Study USA will provide you 15 days of incidental coverage for trips to your home country for every 3 months of coverage purchased. Incidental visit time must be used within the three-month period earned, and you must continue your international trip in order to be eligible for this benefit, which covers medical expenses only. Return to your home country must not be taken for the purpose of obtaining treatment of an illness or injury that began while traveling.